I wanted a recipe for my kids to have at school birthday parties that they would be happy to see and I would be happy to feed them. So this is what I came up with. You can omit the chocolate chips if you want, or just sprinkle a few on top as I do.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 4 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Add 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (plus extra for greasing muffin tin)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp water (refrigerated for 10 minutes)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about one medium zucchini)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (or just sprinkle a few on top)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a muffin tin with liners or generously grease the inside of each cup with coconut oil.
- Whisk the two tablespoons of ground flax seeds with six tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit in the fridge until it thickens.
- Shred zucchini using either the smaller or larger of the two shredders on your box greater. After shredding DO NOT squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, xanthan gum, cacao, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, mix the coconut oil, coconut sugar, vanilla, and flax mixture. Add in shredded zucchini and stir again until well combined.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until combined taking care not to over mix. Fold in chocolate chips if you desire.
- Divide batter into the 10 or 12 muffin cups depending on how big you want them. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
~ Plant Trainers