Every once and a while Adam and I treat ourselves to A REUBEN SANDWICH!!! And – it’s totally plant-based, obviously. Build the sandwich the way you like it. For a grain free version, you can use collard greens as a wrap. Try making this Crunchy Slaw for an excellent side.
This recipe is for two sandwiches. I promise it will not disappoint.
A special thanks to Lettuce Love Cafe in Burlington, ON for the inspiration on this one!
Delicious Reuben Sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayonaise
- 1Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp Tamari
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- pepper to taste
Put all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk them together until it’s well mixed.
- Any bread of your liking
- 1 package of original Tempeh cut into a big square and sliced evenly down the middle making two thinner squares.
- ⅓ cup of vegan cheese
- 2 slices of tomato
- 2 thin slices of red onion (optional)
- Good quality sauerkraut (optional)
- Ruben sauce
Preheat oven to 350°
- Place sliced tempeh on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Prepare your sauce and other condiments.
- Flip Tempeh and cover with vegan cheese. Place it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Toast your bread.
- Build your sandwich the way you like it best. You may like extra Vegenaise, ketchup or even pickles!!
- Enjoy, and don’t forget to thank me later!!
~ Plant Trainers