It’s been a long time since our family has had hotdogs. I mean a LONG time. Every now and again I miss that smoky taste and the ketchup, mustard, mayo combination…but it goes away pretty quickly. I saw a post for hotdogs made from carrots and thought…”huh” maybe I can get the flavor I’m looking for without all the other, you know….stuff – like a friend of mine once said…”lips and butts!” So I tried to find the same recipe and could not. I ended up reading a few different recipes and created my own based mostly on what I had on hand in the house at the time. I let it marinate for two days…only because we ended up dining out the next day. Now I am so excited to make them again with the family while on our vacation. It will actually look like we’re all eating the same thing!
I know you may think we’re crazy here…but this recipe is family approved and delicious!
- 4-6 carrots trimmed and peeled
- ¼ cup Tamari (if you are soy free use coconut aminos)
- Add ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp dried ginger powder
- 1/8-¼ tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- Place the carrots in a pot of water and boil until they are just tender to the touch of a fork (aprox. 8 min).
- Run the carrots under cold water to stop the cooking process or you may end us with mush.
- Mix all the other ingredients together and pour in a plastic zip baggie. Then add the cooled and dried carrots.
- Placed the baggie in a Tupperware in case in leaked.
- Let it marinate for 4 hours up until 4 days.
- Cook in a pan, on a griddle or on the BBQ.
- Place in your favorite hotdog bun and top the way you’ve always liked it!
Let us know what you think in the comments below!