This week we have a special 2 for 1: Veggie Loaf & Farmer’s Pie Recipes (AKA: Meatloaf & Shepherd’s Pie). We are about to share with you the be all and end all of plant-based gluten-free meals. These meals are so good even your friend’s husband who won’t eat anything but steak will be happy. The base of this recipe is a veggie loaf that can be made on it’s own. Add the delicious potato topping and you have what I like to call a “Farmer’s Pie”. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. We hope you enjoy it. The veggie loaf freezes well. I usually double the recipe and freeze the rest for another time.
- 2 stalks of celery
- ½ large onion (any kind will do)
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 10 oz package of firm tofu, drained
- ¼ cup walnuts, ground
- 1½ cooked brown lentils
- 1½ cups of quick oats OR 1¼ cups of ground almonds and sunflower seeds (If you want it oat free)
- 3 Tbsp tamari
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (or a non-stick pan)
- Ketchup, enough to cover the meatloaf
Additional ingredients for Farmer’s Pie:
- ½ cup organic frozen peas
- ½ cup organic frozen corn niblets
- 6 medium potatoes cooked and mashed
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare oven safe dish and wipe some coconut oil inside so the loaf won’t stick (or use a non-stick pan).
- Place onion and celery in the processor and pulse until chopped. (You can chop by hand if you so desire).
- Saute onion, celery and garlic salt and pepper in a bit of water for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- For a chunky loaf, mash the tofu in a big bowl and add remaining ingredients EXCLUDING the ketchup and coconut oil.
- For a smoother, more kid friendly loaf, put remaining ingredients EXCLUDING the ketchup and coconut oil into the food processor and process until desired consistency.
- Place the mixture in the baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Top it off with a small layer of ketchup.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean or skip this step if you are making the Farmer’s Pie.
Additional Directions for Farmer’s Pie:
- Place the corn and peas on top of the loaf.
- Add the mashed potatoes on top of the corn and peas.
- Brush the top of the potatoes with some coconut oil.
- Sprinkle with a bit of paprika and salt if desired.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. The potatoes should be slightly brown.